January 30, 2012

Updates

 It's been a pretty good last couple of weeks. I'm still working on this goal of getting healthy, and down about 20lbs as of today :-)  It feels good to get the workouts in, and this "clean eating" thing works wonders. I sat down tonight and wrote out my workouts for the next few weeks. It's a good mix of Insanity and Turbo Fire(both from the Beach Body series, look it up if you haven't-they're a blast and very effective!), 3 or 4 different yoga workouts, some strength training and running, and some Zumba dance to lighten it up a bit, but also because I adore dancing and it's just fun :-)  I'm truly amazed though at how eating clean has affected me. My energy level is through the roof and my skin is super clear without all the soda and processed junk running through me. It's been a really positive change, and one that's not too terribly hard to stick with, mostly because I mix up workouts often so they don't become too boring, and I truly enjoy the feeling I get after a good workout. I feel like I get a little stronger everyday both physically and mentally/emotionally, but more than that, I feel like I can take on anything, and that's not a feeling I've always had. But it's definitely one that I wouldn't trade for anything :-) Moving on...


    Jeff and I went to his appointment at behavioral health last week. We went in thinking it was yet another psychologist(or whatever the army's version of them is, they could've gone out and hired a bum to do it for all the good most of them do) who would sit there and write a few notes over the course of an hour, dismiss all of his symptoms as "anxiety and stress" instead of PTSD, and send us on our way. I haven't gone to his behavioral health appointments with him lately, simply because we haven't seen a need for me to, but we agreed that I would go to this one because of all of the problems he's been having with his PTSD and the fact that these "doctors"  have done nothing but brush it off and call it everything but what it really is. This appointment though, was actually a major one for his MEB process, and about 5 hours long. He went over his entire life's story, and at the end of the appointment, the psychologist told us that he was putting a PTSD diagnosis in his paperwork. Which is a VERY good thing. Should Jeff be medically retired out, a PTSD diagnosis carries an automatic 50% rating with it, meaning he will receive 50% retirement pay, at the LEAST. But more importantly than that, it means that the diagnosis is now officially in his file. Meaning that he can now be treated for it and hopefully learn some coping skills and how to function with it. Long story short...it means that my husband's issues are real, and he can now get the help that he needs with it to be able to function everyday at his best. That is all that I really ever wanted for him-for him to be okay.


    Other than that, life lately is just pretty routine and boring. Jeff goes to work and to his appointments, I stay home and keep myself occupied as always. I spend a good portion of the days working out like I said. The last week and a half or so, I haven't seen the results that I would have like to. The next 2 weeks I will be doubling up on workouts and switching the diet up a bit to mostly protein and a ton of veggies. It'll be exhausting I'm sure, but so worth it!I hate the feeling of "you could have done more," so these next couple weeks(to start with) will definitely be about buckling down and working to avoid having that feeling anymore :-)


   Oh, I almost forgot! We began fostering a puppy from one of the local shelters about 10 days ago now. She is almost 3 months old, and we were told that she is a shepherd mix. We call her Maggie, and she almost 10lbs now :-) Just by looking at her, we suspect she may have a little Chow in her, but she's still so little that we will just have to wait and see! We fell in love with her quickly though, it was nuts. She's extremely smart, has already learned the commands I've been working with her on in the 10 days she has been with us, and potty training has been a breeze with her. Plus, she gets along with our dogs, and they adore her so far! Well, except for the fact that Maggie has decided that our Mollie is her own personal chew toy but, she's a puppy and she'll learn what she can get away with with a little time. In the meantime, we decided that she was an amazing fit for our little family, so we went ahead and took ourselves off of the shelter's foster parent list, and took Maggie off of the adoptables list, and she will be staying permanently with us. At the moment, she is all snuggled up at the foot of the bed, and when I close my computer for the night, she will probably come slide herself up next to me and sleep the rest of the night away like that. There is a theory that shelter animals tend to become more bonded when they have been rescued from the shelter by someone. I was never sure if I bought into that or not, but since little miss Maggie has come into the picture, it is definitely something I can believe. She spends her days chasing me around the house, and I am totally okay with that. I absolutely love this little girl :-)










One last thing. After all of the issues with this dang apartment complex and the management that we have had, we decided that we will be finding a rental house and moving out of here shortly. More than likely in the next month. I am BEYOND excited to get out of here and to give our fur babies a place a run and play, and mostly to NOT have to share any walls with rude, noisy neighbors. It will definitely be a good move for Jeff and I and the fur children! 

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Some amazing changes for you guys! So glad he got his diagnosis and can get some help. Your doing awesome on your healthy lifestyle, keep it up!

    I LOVE that you adopted her, she is so stinking cute.

    Hope you get your house soon.

    ReplyDelete